Highlights of the PRESIDENT’S ANNUAL REPORT for 2020-2021 presented at the Annual General Meeting on October 21, 2021.
- Book sales at branch libraries remain closed due to no access to library during the year, so book donations have ceased.
- The library will be revisiting volunteer access and donations in the next few weeks, which will inform FOL activity moving forward.
- Due to renovation of the Central Library, FOL documents and a small collection of valuable books have been moved to a storage facility.
- Michael informed that the library did not present a wish list this year to provide support for their programs. FOL also did not receive a request from the Mississauga Spelling Bee, a major literacy initiative FOL has supported in past years. This is likely because most of these programs have been suspended this year.
- Friends have in the past provided financial scholarships to promote library education. The Jim Wilde Library education award was not awarded due to the pandemic.
- Laura Reed will serve as our library liaison moving forward, and will be invited to FOL meetings.
- Michael thanked Eva Kolaczkowski, who will be stepping down from the Board, for her 25 years of service to the Friends. The Executive members of the Board were recognized for their ongoing commitment to FOL and literacy.
- Michael also expressed appreciation to Ingrid Keuper-Dalton, our previous library liaison, and acknowledged the benefits of our City Registered Group status: rooms for monthly meetings and Annual General Meeting, Group liability insurance and a City liaison.
- Members of the Friends of the Mississauga Library System were thanked for their ongoing support and participation.
Past President’s Annual Reports
Previous year’s report can be downloaded below.
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct for Members of the Friends of the Mississauga Library System
The Friends of the Mississauga Library System (“the Friends) is a voluntary, charitable corporation which has been established for the following purposes:
- to support the extension and improvement of the services and resources of the Library;
- to support library-related educational and training opportunities;
- to encourage the use of the Library’s services and facilities by all members of the community;
- to encourage and support literacy in the community; and
- to undertake activities which afford the membership opportunities to broaden their knowledge.
The Friends may undertake all manner of lawful activities to raise funds or to obtain materials in support of the activities listed above. The Friends shall be carried on without purpose of gain for its members.
Members, including members of the Executive Board of the Friends, are expected to adhere to the following Code of Conduct when working on behalf of the Friends:
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of information received in the course of meetings and activities, including personal information
- Ensure information gained as an Executive Board member is only applied to proper purposes
- Not disclose official information or documents acquired through membership of the Executive Board, other than as required by law or where agreed by decision of the Board
- Not make improper use of their position as Executive Board members to gain advantage for themselves or for any other person
- Act in a manner that is consistent with existing laws and regulations
- Act ethically, with honesty and integrity, in the best interests of the Friends at all times
- Act in a financially-responsible manner
- Exercise due care, diligence and skill
- Treat colleagues with respect, courtesy, honesty and fairness, and have proper regard for their interests, rights, safety and welfare
- Not harass, bully or discriminate against colleagues
- Encourage feedback from the membership
- Declare potential conflicts of interest, and refrain from discussion and voting when applicable
- Not speak on behalf of the Friends, unless designated by the Executive Board
- Implement the formal decisions of the Executive Board made in its meetings
- Consult the President on any questions regarding the Code of Conduct
- Understand that breaches of this Code may result in disciplinary action, up to and including suspension of membership