WHO ARE WE?
The Friends of the Mississauga Library System was established in 1989. It is a volunteer, non-profit organization, registered as a charitable corporation with CRA. Its mission is to support and augment the services of the Mississauga Library System and to promote literacy in the community through the following activities:
- Funding to support and supplement Library services and programs.
- Volunteer labour to support fundraising.
- Fundraising from private sources.
- Support for literacy and library-related education.
Since its inception, the FOL has donated over $3.2 million in funds and volunteer hours to support the programs and services of the Mississauga Library System. FOL raise money through the sale of donated/withdrawn new and used books, membership fees and generous financial donations from individuals and businesses.
Here are a few of the many programs and services that the Friends have funded:
- funded many school bus trips to local libraries
- sponsored over 700 author visits to all library branches
- supplied furniture and equipment to all branches
- awarded the annual Jim Wilde Library Education Awards
- donated books around the province and the world
- “Our Heritage Series” by local author and historian Kathleen Hicks
- Expanded Assistive Services and Adaptive Technology
- Reach Out and Read Peel
- Maker Fest Event
- Grade 4 Read to Succeed Books
- Summer Reading Club Recognition
- Woodlands Community Garden
- Mississauga Comic Expo
- Spelling Bee of Canada, Mississauga Chapter
- Light Therapy Lamps in Library
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2020 – 2021
President – Michael Jones
Treasurer – Shanaz Fancy
Secretary – Accepting applications
Book Sales – Margo Harvie , Ashok Sagar
Online Book Sales – Rabia Fatima
Events & Fundraising – Accepting applications
Membership Development – Accepting applications
Director At Large – Eva Kolaczkowski
Director At Large – Caroline Derouet